Ugmah Mage are too easy.

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Sakka
Commoner
Commoner

Ugmah Mage are too easy.

Post by Sakka »

The Underdark {Umgah City of Nethriss}

Since this is not a boss zone and has no named bosses I think that the mages may need to be buffed a bit.

They seem to be weak having only these abilities;
1) 3 hell balls
2) 7 greater ruins
3) Dragon Knight
4) greater than 84 AC
5) 6 harm touches
6) Various other spells
7) 3 full heals
I feel like this is too easy for those who are leveling.

I feel it would be a better player experience if they could be changed to also have;
1) 100 regeneration per second
2) unlimited AoE harm touch
3) 12 maximized issaic's greater missile storm (but in a sequencer style so it just all comes spewing out at once)
4) 95% immunity to all damage types
5) 50/- resist to all damage types
6) 6 auto resurrections
7) script in a death touch every 1/10 of a second

Thanks.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ugmah Mage are too easy.

Post by driller »

Right.
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Post by The Flying Rodent »

Sarcasm alert.

And you forgot about their Greater Spell Mantle. And the fact that their Heal spells are abilities and thus cannot be counterspelled.

Seriously though, despite their impressive arsenal of stuff, what Umgah Mages lack is HP. So there are a few ways that they can be bursted down before they use everything . This balances them out IMO.

Generally this sort of option is only available to fellow casters though, given their incredible AC . Make of that what you will...
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Not every class is going to do well against every enemy. Its just not possible to do and keep any kind of challenge.
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Post by The Flying Rodent »

Yeah that’s fair enough. Casters do well pre-40, but can struggle a bit in the very high ‘level 40 party’ environments, particularly the higher level bosses with a lot of HP. Whereas their melee counterparts can deal consistent DPS and so tend to fare a bit better.

So yeah: Different character types are better or worse at fighting different types of enemies. And parties with mixed classes tend to do well here, as they can compensate for each others’ weaknesses. =)
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Perhaps just alter them to just wizard stuff or just cleric stuff. Having them get the best of both is a bit jarring.

Edit: Or just get rid of that spell mantle actually, they can have all the epic spells they like if we can land a spell or two of our own on them.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Smoothing everything over makes the server lose character. There needs to be rough edges and things you dislike or want to avoid.
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Post by Yunim »

I use a STR WM and don't have a problem with the Umgah Mages as long as they haven't finished buffing.

However once they are fully buffed (usually when I run into one that another group ran away from), their AC is untouchable.
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Thu Nov 29 16:12:38] Chris Yunim attacks Umgah Mage : *miss* : (19 + 78 = 97)
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Thu Nov 29 16:14:00] Sneak Attack : Chris Yunim attacks Umgah Mage : *miss* : (19 + 80 = 99)
I'm not sure what the problem is, possibly Epic Mage Armor stacking, but being able to buff their AC from 86 to over 99 is a real problem even for high AB builds.

Can you look into their buffing sequence and remove their AC buffs please?
Jake_Master
Count
Count

Post by Jake_Master »

Umgah mage is perfect!! This is considered a lvl 40 area, their are plenty of ways to defeat the mage... I say no need to alter him, if anything add some umgah priestess that are cleric based
Captain Andrick Korningstone, Arms Master Los Illuminados Alianza

Troy Korningstone
Andrin StoneBender, Master Crafter
Kurt Addams
Mask-inc
Duke
Duke

Post by Mask-inc »

Re: Drow Wizards

Post by Mask-inc » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:15 am
Yep, like Corn said, if you cannot beat it, run away.

The umgahs area is a level 40 area, the mage always been a nasty piece of work.

Since many peoples end up there just to level up or die, i would even go as far as saying it need an umgah priest somewhere down there, so it can buff the other umgahs, some self buff for him, a few implosions and blade barriers for good mesure, now that would be some nice chalenge.

I already suggested an umgah priest, would be so cool 8)

Mask
**Master Halaster Blackcloak, Los Illuminados Alianza Grand Master**

Minion- Impling
Sir Del Goodman- Exile from Starkson Protectorate
Karthak Strongarms- Slayer of Undead
Rikus Strongarms- Grand Scythe Master
Lomnek Strongarms- Dwarven Tank
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 am Smoothing everything over makes the server lose character. There needs to be rough edges and things you dislike or want to avoid.
I agree about that. After playing here since May and trying almost every class there is (except Shifter, I never got that to work well), I have a humble suggestion:

Bear with me, because this will be long-winded.... I think there should be several types of areas:
1. Areas where you can grind solo.
2. Areas you need to clear in order to finish a quest.
3. Areas where you can't grind solo, but need to be a party to succeed.

What I don't like is type 4, Areas you need to clear in order to finish a quest, but it's not possible to do it alone.

Quests can of course be more or less easy depending on class. For instance, some classes have serious problems with Snort. Now, that's not a very large problem, since you can go kill some other monsters for a while, then come back at a higher level, or with better gear or whatever. The point is it's doable sooner or later. You might get stuck, but it's doable at a higher level. The Salt Mine was somewhat the same, you had to wait three levels to get the boss. Now it's doable, but very hard.

I adhere to the principle that all quests should be possible to solo, since quests are what's keeping you busy if you can't find someone to party with. Also, not all of us play at the same time. Yesterday as I went to bed, there was 48 players online, but the other day when I needed someone to party with, we were 6 players online. None of the others were lvl 40.

My prime example is the Blood Cult. It's a quest you pick up fairly late. The problem is, it's more or less impossible to solo. I have tried using both offensive builds and defensive builds at lvl 40, decked out with Forged gear of high quality. AC at 65ish, up to 300ish damage per crit, max possible DR, lots of protective magic from wands, but no way. I don't even get to the second floor. You need 60+ AB to even hit those guys, which is hard to achieve even with Forged gear and an optimized build. Another problem is that they hit with Magical Damage, which is extremely hard to protect against. Even with access to Heal (no, no spoilers), you're basically powerless.

There are probably players (of which I know one) able to solo the Blood Cult, but that's not my point. My point is that since Blood Cult is one of the ordinary quests, not a Game-End-Boss area like Shalnath, it would be nice if it was possible to solo it with a reasonably powerful lvl 40 fighter-type character (high BAB).

Easiest way (I guess) to do that is to (one or all of these): remove/decrease the magic damage from them, remove the very annoying Dispel, decrease their AC, add some vulnerabilities or decrease their AB. So, that's my humble suggestion.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Wing--Zero
Duke
Duke

Post by Wing--Zero »

Personally I think the Mages are easy to deal with. They can be a pain at times but, they are very beatable for any spell caster. As long as your character doesn't bug and spells stop doing damage to them. If that happens just go and rest or relog. For a high ab Weapon Master they've always been able to hit them unless something bugged out. I have lvl 40 characters that can hit them just fine and there ab is only 68 ab fighting a Umgah. I know after looking today if you roll a 87 you hit for sure and it wasn't a +20 roll it was a 19 Its a level 40 area so I think they fit into it perfectly as being the only thing there that you have to worry about.

Blood Cults have there weaknesses just gotta find em :). They do hit hard and its because of all the magical they do. There the "Higher" Area you go to than Umgahs if you really want a challenge. I love this area as is and basically stay around in there when I want something fun and tough to fight. That's just my 2 cents
Duo Maxwell
Auran Goodman
Damian Goodman
Daniel Goodman
Karn
Aye Spyu
Heia The Deamon
and some others :P
Log-ins: Zero, X, X_Mule, Z_mule
Gimili
Count
Count

Post by Gimili »

Wing--Zero wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:26 pm Personally I think the Mages are easy to deal with. They can be a pain at times but, they are very beatable for any spell caster. As long as your character doesn't bug and spells stop doing damage to them. If that happens just go and rest or relog. For a high ab Weapon Master they've always been able to hit them unless something bugged out. I have lvl 40 characters that can hit them just fine and there ab is only 68 ab fighting a Umgah. I know after looking today if you roll a 87 you hit for sure and it wasn't a +20 roll it was a 19 Its a level 40 area so I think they fit into it perfectly as being the only thing there that you have to worry about.

Blood Cults have there weaknesses just gotta find em :). They do hit hard and its because of all the magical they do. There the "Higher" Area you go to than Umgahs if you really want a challenge. I love this area as is and basically stay around in there when I want something fun and tough to fight. That's just my 2 cents
I agree with you Zero. Ugmah Mages are not too difficult at all if you have the correct style build. As a player with mainly dev crit builds, you can easily defeat them, without needing a mages help. Ugmah arent supposed to be used as a leveling area either. As zero said its a level 40 Area.
Gimili Lockbearer -Trusted Dwarf, friend of the elves.
Balrog- Right Hand Associate of Warlock the Evil
Morgoth- Kazrite General V.P. Of the Kazrites
Gimili
Count
Count

Post by Gimili »

driller wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:49 am Smoothing everything over makes the server lose character. There needs to be rough edges and things you dislike or want to avoid.
I agree with this. There should be challenges its not supposed to be easy.
Gimili Lockbearer -Trusted Dwarf, friend of the elves.
Balrog- Right Hand Associate of Warlock the Evil
Morgoth- Kazrite General V.P. Of the Kazrites
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Cornflower wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:29 am -Snip-
Agreed, four types of areas for a balance of accessibility and challenge:
1: 'Essential' main quest chain (solo)
2: 'Non-essential' quests (party)
3: Leveling (solo)
4: Grinding (party)
I think this is how it's largely set up anyways, just a few outliers here and there.