Killing Dawn - PermaDeath Journal II

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.
Ozmiz
Commoner
Commoner

Killing Dawn - PermaDeath Journal II

Post by Ozmiz »

Welcome to my Story of "Killing Dawn"

I did a previous play through with "Summer", my 1st attempt to play a character pretending she had only one life, no respawns, no 'rezzing'.
My thoughts were, "lets see if we can get her to level 20. If I can do that, even if I die, I'll consider it a win".
It was not to be, she died at level 13 (ok technically 14, but she didn't get a chance to take the level).

I set some ground rules then, which we will abide by here:
No multi-classing, no build guides, no twinking (from my other characters).

The Beginning of Dawn's Demise:

"Alea iacta est!"
Julius Caesar

Dawn will be the bringer of Light to all Dark places. What Class fits that role better than a Pure Cleric? (One could argue for a Paladin)
If a Cleric, then taking the Domain of "Sun" is a given.
A Bringer of Light should focus on Evocation, which compliments that role very nicely.

It looks like this will not be much of a melee character, more of a caster - High Wisdom for the DC checks is a must.
Race? Celestial of course!

Day 1 (Warning: All Content Contains Spoilers)
The Kobolds saw the error of their ways - Task Complete Dear Warden
The Farmer's Undead Female worries are a thing of the past

Gleanna of the Blackstone Keep Temple has an interesting entourage today!

Gleanna's undead problems are eradicated! Nice quests for a Cleric of Light
I brought a message of Truth to the 1st Shrine - Touching the Shrine Runestone revealed deeper truths yet
The Warden's fixation upon the Yuan-ti priestess was alleviated somewhat; He still wanted a 'trophy'. Yea.. a sick sort, but who am I to judge?

Dawn survived her first Day, reaching Level 7
Dawn will rise again tomorrow.

Unfortunately, there were no duo's or groups to be had, other than to guide a lost adventurer and to help another solve a riddle.

“Every day has been so short, every hour so fleeting, every minute so filled with the life I love that time for me has fled on too swift a wing.”
Aga Khan III
Last edited by Ozmiz on Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ozmiz
Commoner
Commoner

Re: Killing Dawn - PermaDeath Journal II

Post by Ozmiz »

"Mortui Vivos Docent" - The Dead Teach the Living

My little journey/challenge has had a much bigger impact upon me than expected.
I look back at Summer and realize I was definitely pushing the envelope, taking too many chances and risks.
Okay, admittedly that was part of the fun.

However, when you know it's one and done, one life and it's over, it causes you to do more risk vs reward analysis in BSK.
Do I perform this quest if it is on the edge of my abilities, or should I wait?
Do I come back to this area later, or can I walk the edge here and be "reasonably" comfortable of escape.
Conversely, there is ever the carrot stick of another level, better gear, another spell, another feat, that ever tempts you to do things you know you shouldn't.

I caught myself at work today thinking about how I will spend my time in BSK as Dawn today... I have never done that before.
Knowledge of what it means to die, to have a definite consequence for my actions, has caused me to approach everything differently.
To plan better, to prepare better, and to even setup my quickbar differently that I ever have before.

Basically, the looming high probability of Dawn's death has given me more than a challenge, but a reason for her to strive and thrive.
Wow! who would have thought NWN could cause one to ponder the Philosophical - Does death give life meaning? And without it would life have meaning? :idea:

“Pardonnez-moi, monsieur.”
Marie Antoinette
Last edited by Ozmiz on Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozmiz
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Ozmiz »

Day 2 - MileStone Achievement!

Dawn Rises to LVL 20! :lol:

100% Solo.. but come-on, where is everybody? (Or at least the ones willing to party)
Well, I did get one invite only, and would you know it, it was Norisa about to attack a Massive Golem that rated impossible. Yea, I ran :mrgreen:

I wrote in the previous comment about risk analysis, and told myself I wouldn't take very many risks. Okay; yeah right.

Here I am about to tackle a CR:28 Quest at Level 17. Caster Cleric, so I add little in the way of melee help for my summon.

And again soon after with Snort at CR:30.. However, Dawn burns pretty bright with her, Spell Focus Evocation, Greater Spell Focus Evocation, Spell Penetration, Greater Spell Penetration, Empower Spell . She is now hitting pretty heavy with her Fire Storms, Implosions, and Sunbeams.

Dawn will rise again tomorrow.

Mox nox. - Night shortly
Medieval Sundial motto
Ozmiz
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Ozmiz »

Day 3 - An Epic Dawn

Night never had the last word. The dawn is always invincible.
Hugh B. Brown

I wasn't able to play long today. Work was long and kicked me in the rear.
A permadeath play-through requires a level of concentration that in my tired state, I wasn't able to maintain for long.
I noticed yesterday, when I got tired and wasn't paying attention, that was when I would have some close calls. I had to force myself to focus.
In fact, I do believe this is making me a better player... sweet!

However, I was happy to see "Epic Character", and "Epic Cleric" added to her feats!
After selecting Epic Spell Focus Evocation, and Epic Greater Spell Penetration, Dawn is a force not be ignored. She can nuke the crap out of mobs :twisted:
She also gained "Epic Dragon Knight"... yea about that. I had never taken it before and didn't realize how short the duration was. That was disappointing

The Day ends at Character Level 24, as a Pure Cleric - Check-out her BAB. While modest, I noticed she can now add a little melee DPS to help out the Summoned Creatures.

No deaths, no respawns, no rezzes. Dawn Survives another Day.
Ozmiz
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Ozmiz »

From Dawn to Dust

"Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, that's life"
The Verve

Dawn continues to climb to her Zenith!

Up until Level 32, I still had no luck getting into a group and was working through Ozban's quests when I ran into Dua Pali.
Together we made quick work of the Oasis quests, and even duo'ed the Epic Party Event near the Oasis, taking on an endless horde of Mummies.

Dua Pali took us through the Dwarven Citadel Quests in rapid succession; together we seemed unstoppable and the Underdark learned to fear our approach.

Then Dua asked Velnora to assist us in finishing a quest that involved a Mindflayer, with a CR:212!! :!:

Dawn had her doubts, but onward to the Mindflayer Dua, Velnora and Dawn went.

Dawn had reached Level 36 before she fell in battle.. far beyond my wildest expectations, without a single death.
A Resurrection scroll did bring Dawn back to life.. and believe it or not, the Quest was even completed!

However, since this was a "Permadeath" play through, this means Dawn's time has expired.
She will be "reincarnated" (all that xp!) and become a more optimized build with no restrictions.

For a Pure Cleric she was surprisingly very strong and her nukes were pretty impressive.
She did reach a place, that soloing (appropriate content) was not even much of a challenge.

Rest In Peace Dawn

Conclusion:
I never would have guessed it possible to reach this high of a level without respawning/dying.
I guessed mid 20's maybe? Level 30 seemed like it would be a real stretch.

IMHO the BSK server is very balanced; you don't have to die if you play smart.
I remember dying to the Kobolds the first time I joined the server, lol. Now they seem trivial even to a new character.
You learn to adapt, to prepare, and what to expect.

If you are dying a lot, you don't have too! Find a place where the xp is good, and roll with that for a few levels. You can always go back and finish up quests, even ones you have outgrown.
I found these Permadeath Play-Throughs fun, instructive, and they both taught me a few things about improving how I played.

Hope to see you in Game!

A Special thanks to all the DM's, Admins, Devs and players, that make Blackstone Keep a fun place to play.