Problem trying to level up with RDD - "[Server] Character applied invalid number of skillpoints."

Report any bugs you find here.
Dyndrilliac
Baron
Baron

Problem trying to level up with RDD - "[Server] Character applied invalid number of skillpoints."

Post by Dyndrilliac »

I recently respec'd from Paladin 12 / Fighter 4 / Champion of Torm 19 to Paladin 26 / Sorcerer 1 / RDD 8. I am now trying to level up and take my next level of RDD. When I do so, it gives me the above error message in chat from the server and refuses to let me finish leveling up - it simply takes me back to "Your character has enough experience to level up." I didn't do anything crazy or illegal with my skillpoints, but RDD does give me a +2 INT increase at RDD 8, so this most recent level and the next level I'm trying to take gave me +2 skillpoints above what I would have gotten not taking 8 levels in RDD. I think this is the problem.

What should I do?

Edit: I tried leveling up one more time, and this time I didn't spend any of my skill points, and it let me level up as expected. So it looks like I can kick the can down the road, but when I get to my last level, I don't think it will let me spend all of my skillpoints. It might force me to let some go wasted. Is there any way to avoid this so I can spend all the skill points I legitimately earned?
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Problem trying to level up with RDD - "[Server] Character applied invalid number of skillpoints."

Post by driller »

This has been a problem with RDD since it was first added over decade ago, it has supposedly been fixed several times, but never seems to truly be fixed. The only way to avoid this is not to re-level an RDD. You might end up in the ELC remake area on relog.
Dyndrilliac wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:06 pm I recently respec'd from Paladin 12 / Fighter 4 / Champion of Torm 19 to Paladin 26 / Sorcerer 1 / RDD 8. I am now trying to level up and take my next level of RDD. When I do so, it gives me the above error message in chat from the server and refuses to let me finish leveling up - it simply takes me back to "Your character has enough experience to level up." I didn't do anything crazy or illegal with my skillpoints, but RDD does give me a +2 INT increase at RDD 8, so this most recent level and the next level I'm trying to take gave me +2 skillpoints above what I would have gotten not taking 8 levels in RDD. I think this is the problem.

What should I do?

Edit: I tried leveling up one more time, and this time I didn't spend any of my skill points, and it let me level up as expected. So it looks like I can kick the can down the road, but when I get to my last level, I don't think it will let me spend all of my skillpoints. It might force me to let some go wasted. Is there any way to avoid this so I can spend all the skill points I legitimately earned?
Dyndrilliac
Baron
Baron

Re: Problem trying to level up with RDD - "[Server] Character applied invalid number of skillpoints."

Post by Dyndrilliac »

Good news! On subsequent level-ups I was able to use all of my saved up points, and I did not end up in the ELC area after re-logging following those level-ups! I think I was spared any permanent damage.