End game spells?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
dmuzzy
Commoner
Commoner

End game spells?

Post by dmuzzy »

So, I finally got a Sorcerer to 38, and am wanting to nail down a good spell list to use for Underdark (post-underdark??) areas (I mostly solo).

It seems that enchantment spells, like Hold and Dominate are mostly useless. I do have some success with Finger of Death as it still does some damage, but Wail has little to no effect on higher level enemies.

So, what have you all found to be effective spells (and/or strategies)? Bigby’s? Power Words? Spamming Isaacs?

Anyway, thanks in advance!
Dyndrilliac
Baron
Baron

Re: End game spells?

Post by Dyndrilliac »

Note: I'm a Wizard, not a Sorcerer, so instead of picking which spells to learn, I need to pick which spells to memorize.

I have three basic setups - one for undead, one for living things, and one for living things immune to death magic (this includes Umgah Mages and constructs).

For the undead setup, I opt to split my 9th level slots between Time Stop and Maximized Undeath to Death. 8th level slots are used primarily on Empowered Undeath to Death. 7th level slots are usually either Delayed Blast Fireball or Bigby's Grasp. 6th are Maximized Flame Arrow. Spells below that level are really not all that useful in combat for dealing damage.

For the living setup, I again split my 9th level slots, but this time between Time Stop and Wail. I do still have good experience with Wail as long as the targets are not Death Magic immune, my main complaint is the animation takes way too long. 8th are Horrid Wilting, and 7th are Finger of Death. 6th is still Maximized Flame Arrow.

Lastly, for the living but death magic immune setup, I swap Wail for Mordenkainen's Disjunction (useful against Umgah Mages), and Finger of Death for Bigby's Grasp. Note that while Horrid Wilting does have the "Death" descriptor, it doesn't count as "Death Magic" for the purposes of death magic immunity. However, undead and constructs are not affected, so keep that in mind. If you want something that will damage them, I might opt for Empowered IGMS or Stilled/Silenced/Extended Delayed Blast Fireball.

There are some foes - Sandman, for example, for which I have not been successful in finding any spell that is effective, so for that, need to use summons or golem (or in your case being a sorcerer, your slaad).
dmuzzy
Commoner
Commoner

Re: End game spells?

Post by dmuzzy »

Thank you, I appreciate your insights!