Use magical device inquiry

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Stabbath
Knight
Knight

Use magical device inquiry

Post by Stabbath »

I've been playing on the server couple weeks now I think and noticed that use magic device seems nerfed. Most my characters I've ever made have use magical device and I have never received any failures off using scrolls before. At least that I can remember. The stuff that I would fail at, I can't use at all, it will have the red boarder around it indicating, can't use.

My question is, how does this work in regards to equipping items? Do u roll each time you try to equip? Also, is it possible to have a high use magic device and use, say, those really good paly swords? One hander and greatsword I've seen I'm drooling over. Holy avenger is the name of one, can't recall the other. Thanks for any feedback. Not a fan of playing palys, wanting rogue fighter weapon master type, but be able to use those weapons. Probably considered OP, but thought I'd ask.
Mask-inc
Duke
Duke

Re: Use magical device inquiry

Post by Mask-inc »

the module difficulty set the basic number for UMD.
each time you use something, you need to roll UMD, same when you equip an item.
Holy Avenger weapons and Blackguard weapons got a restriction on them, UMD will never work, you need to be either a Paladin or a Blackguard to use either type. (BSK script)
In the middle of a fight, a high level scroll will require a decent high roll to activate or it will fizzle.
you can check here for each item: https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Use_magic_device

Hope that help

Mask
**Master Halaster Blackcloak, Los Illuminados Alianza Grand Master**

Minion- Impling
Sir Del Goodman- Exile from Starkson Protectorate
Karthak Strongarms- Slayer of Undead
Rikus Strongarms- Grand Scythe Master
Lomnek Strongarms- Dwarven Tank
Stabbath
Knight
Knight

Re: Use magical device inquiry

Post by Stabbath »

Ok, that makes sense, since it has been mostly paly stuff that I have really noticed a difference from what I am used to. Thanks.