Custom Content

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Custom Content CEP2/Project Q etc

Yes.
87%
No.
13%

Total votes: 46

driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Custom Content

Post by driller »

I am curious to what everyone thinks about adding custom content. Not saying I will, just putting out a feeler.

This would use the built-in nwsync downloader.
Smoochie
Baron
Baron

Re: Custom Content

Post by Smoochie »

well i love everything i have seen on this server, so what ever you wanted to add, i am sure it would be pretty awesome
Ryn Wildcat - Aspiring Crafter.
Song Lu - Punchy McPunchalot
Abi Blackborn - Dwarven Painstaker
Sun Flower - The Caregiver
Oni Hikikomori - The Lost
Joan - Queen of the Horde
Omegon
Baron
Baron

Post by Omegon »

I voted no because of a few practical reasons.

A lot of people can just log in straight away and out of ease people can just jump in and level.

BSK is also a great starting point for people in NWN for brand new starters.

On the other side of the coin however there is no denying that CEP or Project Q is amazing.
itchyfunk
Baron
Baron

Post by itchyfunk »

NWNEE has made downloading haks a lot easier - it actually does it automatically now. CEP and PRC _are_ pretty awesome and reasonably... well... standard add-ons. All that said, I really like not having to mess with them, and I apart from the extended body and weapon models for character customization I don't think they really add that much; and they're really just one more thing that can force an upgrade and create problems. Beamdog seems to be steadily working on things and I suspect that mean additional CEP/PRC type content as things go along. My preference would be "No" (which is how I voted) but it wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me either way. The server's awesome - wish I had more time to hang lately.

Thanks Driller.

Itchy.
Active Toons:
- Itchy Smurf
- Isioviel Aerendyl
- Eima Glaskanone
- Forgee et (Minot)
Stabbath
Knight
Knight

Post by Stabbath »

I'd need to know the details on what is being added. For now, scared to vote yes, since the journal bug is still going on. Some custom content I've came across via playing this game I love, others I don't. I vote yes to hearing more details. Speeding up rest time I would love. Been playing casters, and it's a pain having to wait, then wait more once u can rest. That's probably not custom content but a hak tho. Not sure about the terminology, sorry.
sergeil
Duke
Duke

Post by sergeil »

Be careful guys in your wishes. Beamdog doesn't support community hacks and you should be aware that any not obligatory functionality can cause problems. Now server is very stable and I like it very much. As I know, CEP is not so stable as could.

Some related info:

I have serious issue on server where I played before and it was not possible to solve, because a lot of implemented and related to plenty of haks. I have investigated a lot of time and efforts to catch problem (debug modules of libraries, tracing, etc). As soon as info was collected and I have received very clear diagnostic, I have opened ticket in Beamdog support.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thread 1 "nwmain-linux" received signal SIGABRT, Aborted.
__GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:50
50 return ret;
#0 __GI_raise (sig=sig@entry=6) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/raise.c:50
#1 0x00007ffff78dc895 in __GI_abort () at abort.c:79
#2 0x00007ffff7937857 in __libc_message (action=action@entry=do_abort, fmt=fmt@entry=0x7ffff7a48c14 "*** %s ***: terminated\n")
at ../sysdeps/posix/libc_fatal.c:155
#3 0x00007ffff79c877a in __GI___fortify_fail (msg=msg@entry=0x7ffff7a48baa "buffer overflow detected") at fortify_fail.c:26
#4 0x00007ffff79c7006 in __GI___chk_fail () at chk_fail.c:28
#5 0x00007ffff79c68d6 in __strcpy_chk (dest=0x5555690e3ef8 "", src=0x7fffffff3b10 "tsh01_k01_01_gr_3_3_0_0_walkmesh", destlen=32) at strcpy_chk.c:30
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see, some internal names in hak modules can be too long and overflow buffer which is 32 bytes long. I have received from Beamdog support very clear explanation of their position about. Beamdog will not help to solve issues related to community modules.

---
Hello again, Sergei,

This is a complicated topic. I don’t know exactly what is crashing you, and you do seem to hop around servers a bit, but a lot of these servers use a terrible community made tileset that is not well made and full of problems, and one of many problems it has are walkmeshes that have names too long.

This is not the name of the files in the hak, which is limited to 16 characters, by the way, and, characters do not correspond to how many bits you’re using.

Unfortunately this mountains tileset sucks on all operating systems, and I’d gladly see people stop using it forever, since it screws up windows stuff as well, but nobody seems to notice or care until their Linux players can’t play, since Linux seems to be more critical of its errors, and some people still don’t care even after their Linux players crash and crash.

So, really, the best solution is to fix the tileset, you shouldn’t fix the game for people who made broken stuff, even if you can, but this tileset is really bad.

The next best solution is to try to run NWN through Proton in Steam, or Wine, at which point you’d be virtualizing a Windows environment, and the problems with this tileset will become the same for you as they are for everyone else.

The third option which just about nobody seems to be willing to go for is to stop using the tileset, by deleting the areas and using a tileset made by someone who knows what they were doing. The new tilesets made by Zwerkules, for instance, are fairly mountainous, and are made without any of the terrible mistakes the person who made this tileset made, of which the crashes are only one.

Beamdog isn’t really responsible for making sure people only use good community content, or “fixing” or “finishing” community content for people who cannot make it properly, and this tileset comes from 2003 or so when very few people knew what they were doing to begin with, and making content for NWN was a heavily populated free-for-all.

Now, I’m personally a community content creator, so, I’d like to let people know about issues like this, and what causes them, but for the most part Beamdog would like to (and is barely able to) make sure that the Bioware campaigns work on every computer no matter what kind of computer it is. In the game of NWN, when players can make anything, there’s no way to make sure that everything works if people aren’t making stuff correctly.

Best,
SkyBlues87
Duke
Duke

Post by SkyBlues87 »

Not sure this fits here, but...

Is there a way without going down the CEP route to get a character whom has RDD levels to show off their wings without having to totally remove their cloak ?

Easy enough in CEP I know but if I am to understand it Driller still does not wish to go down that path...
Where there is a will there will be a way...
Mask-inc
Duke
Duke

Post by Mask-inc »

type /cloak in chat
same for helmet, type /helm

Mask
**Master Halaster Blackcloak, Los Illuminados Alianza Grand Master**

Minion- Impling
Sir Del Goodman- Exile from Starkson Protectorate
Karthak Strongarms- Slayer of Undead
Rikus Strongarms- Grand Scythe Master
Lomnek Strongarms- Dwarven Tank
SkyBlues87
Duke
Duke

Post by SkyBlues87 »

Thanks I'll give that a try ...
Where there is a will there will be a way...
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

I've played with custom content quite a bit, I really like it and NWSync has been excellent work by Beamdog to facilitate custom content. That said, the lighter the better, in my eyes. Wouldn't really affect me personally but the big download can be a pain - with NWN now on mobile, it might affect things for those players.
sergeil
Duke
Duke

Post by sergeil »

In fact, I would agree to take a risk with nwsync and custom content in case of significant additional RP part.
Beautiful dresses, high aesthetic in architecture. In fact, now we have village style and it is enough for current needs.
:-)
Beezlebub
Baron
Baron

Post by Beezlebub »

driller wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:57 pm I am curious to what everyone thinks about adding custom content. Not saying I will, just putting out a feeler.

This would use the built-in nwsync downloader.
yes ok but what kind of conent extra zones more area's custom script from them etc?
Axel12
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Axel12 »

Guys there's a scimitar I had that ended up looking like a paperbag in my hand, I'm guessing it's a custom item. Installed CEP, and it still didn't get fixed. Any idea how I can fix this?
sergeil
Duke
Duke

Post by sergeil »

Axel12 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:42 pm Guys there's a scimitar I had that ended up looking like a paperbag in my hand, I'm guessing it's a custom item. Installed CEP, and it still didn't get fixed. Any idea how I can fix this?
You can reset appearance of weapon to default. I do not remember name of merchant, but his shop is in Blackstone, near your permanent chest. There you can customize appearance of weapon and armor, order blank scrolls and wands, order components of equipment.
Axel12
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Axel12 »

got it thanks, I'll look for him/her.