Golem Forging

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Golem Forging

Post by driller »

Hopefully, I will be able to add this during the weekend.

The Golem workshop will be located in Bordermarch. You will need Golem parts. You have a chance to get the needed parts from any Golem.
The best chance is if you are lower or the same level as the Golem you are farming. Chances are significantly reduced if you are higher level than the Golem itself.

There is a certain end game boss that will drop a part every time.

Parts only drop for wizards and will only work for the character that found them.

Requirements:
You must have at least 5 levels of wizard.
It must be forged by the character that is going to summon it, it will not work for anyone else.(Your crafting skill are not used)
Needed Parts: Head(1)/Arms(2)/Torso(1)/Heart(1)/Legs(2)/Melee Weapon(1)/Chest Armor(1).
A 50,000 gold workshop fee.

The Golem level will be decided by the level of the weapon or armor, whichever is higher.
Your wizard level must be equal to or greater than the level of the Golem you are trying to summon.
PCs can only use one Golem at a time. When you forge a Golem, you will be given a small statue who can be used once per day to summon it.
Your Golem will be added as a henchman.

Forging a new Golem will overwrite the current one.

The Golem will be buffed or nerfed as needed. I do intend for the Golem to relevant and useful in end game situations.
A level 40 Wizard's Golem with fully forged armor and weapon should be able to face endgame bosses.
All within reason of course, since we have arcane banners and such.

Thanks,
-driller
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Golem Forging

Post by driller »

Golem forging is live now.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Just checking my understanding, so a few questions:
The melee weapon and armor, are those also golem parts, or can I just give my golem a nice weapon from my stock?
If they are golem parts, how do I forge them? The usual way?
When I hire a henchman, they will sooner or later be lost. Do I understand correctly when I assume that the key thing is the "small statue". As long as I don't lose that, I can always get my Golem back.
If I want to upgrade my Golem, I can't give it a new weapon, I need to forge a new Golem, right?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

I'm not sure if the "Grotesque" counts as a Golem? We just killed 18 of them and nothing. Wiz38/R2.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

The weapon and armor come from your stock.
There is a workshop in Bordermarch.
When a Golem is forged, it is saved and can be summoned(1/use day) by the small statue you get.
You forge a new one, it will overwrite your old one.
Cornflower wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:11 am Just checking my understanding, so a few questions:
The melee weapon and armor, are those also golem parts, or can I just give my golem a nice weapon from my stock?
If they are golem parts, how do I forge them? The usual way?
When I hire a henchman, they will sooner or later be lost. Do I understand correctly when I assume that the key thing is the "small statue". As long as I don't lose that, I can always get my Golem back.
If I want to upgrade my Golem, I can't give it a new weapon, I need to forge a new Golem, right?
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

It isn't considered a construct. I have changed this to give another source for Golem parts.
Cornflower wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:42 am I'm not sure if the "Grotesque" counts as a Golem? We just killed 18 of them and nothing. Wiz38/R2.
Synn Blackdagger
Knight
Knight

Post by Synn Blackdagger »

I asked an irrelevant question earlier. My apologies, let me try again please.

1. Will the golem look the same for all wizards? Are there any customization options?
2. What class is the golem? Is there a fixed class or is that determined by the forged armor and weapon you use to craft it with?
3. What feats will the golem have? Is it fixed or again, determined by what you use?
4. If the weapon I chose to craft with was a say, a rapier, does it mean the golem will use the rapier?
5. If the armor was Medium Armor, does he actually wear that? Or he comes out in a Full plate, etc?
6. What size is this golem going to be? Small, Regular? Large? Super Massive?

Give us some hints please?
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

1.For now, they look the same. Not currently.
2.Construct.
3.Currently, it levels up using the default construct package.(with all weapon and armor feats added)
4.Yes.
5.Yes, it wears what armor you forge it with.
6.It's size is considered LARGE in the DnD sense. Though appearance wise, it will look bigger the higher the level.
Synn Blackdagger wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:15 am I asked an irrelevant question earlier. My apologies, let me try again please.

1. Will the golem look the same for all wizards? Are there any customization options?
2. What class is the golem? Is there a fixed class or is that determined by the forged armor and weapon you use to craft it with?
3. What feats will the golem have? Is it fixed or again, determined by what you use?
4. If the weapon I chose to craft with was a say, a rapier, does it mean the golem will use the rapier?
5. If the armor was Medium Armor, does he actually wear that? Or he comes out in a Full plate, etc?
6. What size is this golem going to be? Small, Regular? Large? Super Massive?

Give us some hints please?
Synn Blackdagger
Knight
Knight

Oh more questions, exciting this is.

"Your wizard level must be equal to or greater than the level of the Golem you are trying to summon"
1. We're literally talking Wizard levels only, not character levels yes?
2. How do Palemasters work into the equation? Still half round down?

Also, does Mr. Golem come in at base stats like the Dragon Knight?
Or does he come in with some stat buffs like the Mummy?
How many to each stat if applicable?

Finally, does anyone know what the default Construct leveling package looks like?
Kinda need to figure out what's at 36, 38, 39 & 40.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Yes, Wizard levels.
They don't. Maybe if I add Bone or Flesh Golems in the future.

Currently, the starting stats(before leveling) are:
Str 22
Dex 9
Con 10
Int 10
Wis 11
Chr 3

Save bonus +10 for each type.
AC 8
Special DR is also applied to the Golem based on it's level. (Level / 2) +20 i.e. A level 20 Golem will soak 10 damage unless it is hit by a +20 weapon.
It's howl will stun any non immune creature for half duration even it if makes a save.
Standard Constuct immunities.
Synn Blackdagger wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:45 am Oh more questions, exciting this is.

"Your wizard level must be equal to or greater than the level of the Golem you are trying to summon"
1. We're literally talking Wizard levels only, not character levels yes?
2. How do Palemasters work into the equation? Still half round down?

Also, does Mr. Golem come in at base stats like the Dragon Knight?
Or does he come in with some stat buffs like the Mummy?
How many to each stat if applicable?

Finally, does anyone know what the default Construct leveling package looks like?
Kinda need to figure out what's at 36, 38, 39 & 40.
Synn Blackdagger
Knight
Knight

Hey Driller,

So we have the first golem on the server live. It was quite an event.
Mask, Garrett, Cat, Pan, myself all showed up. Many even followed me to Bordermarch just to see it get crafted.

We used a forged Scythe. (+20AB, EMD: Bludg, 2d12, 1d10)
We made sure it was properly protected with a Celestial Plate of the Dragons. Every imaginable stat we could throw on it to make it uber.
We made it a level 36 Golem!

As everyone stood around watching me tinker...I gave the statue a hard shake & Golem was eventually summoned!
It was massive. It towered over all of us like a behemoth. It looked pretty daunting too.
I think Garrett peed a little in his shorts. Cat obviously just fainted. All that excitement obviously got to everyone....until we "examined" it.
Something didn't seem right.

Damage Report
Let's start with the damage we hoped it could do.
Strength: 31 (Base), No innate stat buff.
Attack Bonus with Uber Scythe: 53
APR: 3

Okay, so maybe it didn't like the Scythe, it doesn't like to hit things. It draws pleasure from pain. It must be tanky for sure! Everyone seemed to agree.
To test our theory, we rushed to Balfar to see the spanking new golem in his EPIC tanky form.

Tankiness Report
With the Golem summoned, we faced Balfar's horde of eight legged fiends.
A ring of fire engulfed us, we had no escape. I looked back, Golem KO'ed.
It ate full damage, died on the spot.

Let's try again shall we? Round 2.
A ring of fire engulfed us, we had no escape. I looked back, Golem KO'ed....AGAIN!
It ate even MORE damage, died on the spot.

Last try here. I, the Wizard, shall tank the flames of death for my Golem.
It shall be summoned only when Balfar decides to strike us down with his bare hands.
As Balfar's rage grew over the disturbance caused by us, the trespassing adventurers, he charged at us, wild with rage!
I threw out the Golem. The metal beast ran forth and faced Balfar one on one.
We were awed by his courage! He roared like none before. A sight to behold!
Balfar struck him.
Golem one-hit KO'ed. Died on the spot.

May we please, please do something about it?
Garrett
Count
Count

Post by Garrett »

Oh man driller, Synn's golem was a punching bag thats for sure.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Thanks for your report. But, to be fair to the Golem, this happens to players also.

That being said, it will be tweaked a bit.
The Golem will be buffed or nerfed as needed. I do intend for the Golem to relevant and useful in end game situations.
A level 40 Wizard's Golem with fully forged armor and weapon should be able to face endgame bosses.
All within reason of course, since we have arcane banners and such.
Synn Blackdagger
Knight
Knight

I saw the buffs, thanks for that!

Yeah, I would think that it has to surpass Dragon Knight in terms of "might", and surpass the Wiz PC in terms of "durability" as base line.
If not, the intended effect to make Wizards a viable sustain DPS is lost.
We'd be back to doing a string of twelve 1s...or standing about because our spells are not even getting through to the mob.

Having it being able to survive and do damage seems to be what you're going for as we craft the armor and weapon.
Some added unique effects might also make it useful and give it some flavor.

Maybe the golem but can taunt end game bosses.
Maybe on death, it drops down an arcane banner.
Perhaps it had a unique On-Hit ability
Or maybe it lowers DI or DR briefly after it lands a hit
Just thought starters.

Other Notes:
The Golem currently gets unsummoned along with the Dragon Knight when its(DK) time is up. Think that shouldn't happen.

Also, might I recommend that there be an option to "disassemble" the golem. You lose the golem body parts but reclaim your Weapon and Armor.
(Technically, I need that most. Folks were rushing me to just build it so they could see it. I want a re-do after you tweak it...haha)
Last edited by Synn Blackdagger on Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Synn Blackdagger
Knight
Knight

Other Notes: [*]Continued[*]

1. The Golem currently gets unsummoned along with the Dragon Knight when its(DK) time is up. Think that shouldn't happen.

2. Think there is a bug with its AB. The Golem(36) stat sheet shows AB 76/71/66, however for some odd reason, when I look at combat logs it only shows 60/55/50.
I've never seen a time when Golem actually got the AB on his stat sheet. To make matters worse, after some time, it gets reduced to 58/53/48 for no apparent reason.
3. I have seem the Golem attempt a normal knockdown. It shows a "Knockdown Hit", but it doesn't take effect & the creature doesn't go down. (Umgah Lancer)
4. Could we access it's backpack, maybe restrict removal of weapon & armor, so folks can Stone of Vor the Golem's weapon?
5. It ended up with an odd number Str/Dex/Cha/Wis, could we maybe round it up? :)