New Update for the Underdark and more

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

New Update for the Underdark and more

Post by driller »

The update has been loaded and will be effect after the 6pm EST reset. Please let me know of any and all issues you come across.

It's a given that a few things will be horribly broken.

The monster balance will probably be all over the place. Just let me know what needs to be worked on.
About 20 quests have been added/changed. So, I am sure there will be issues.

I didn't quite get finished with the random item script. It will only apply to non weapon items.
I will do the weapons at a later date.

Thanks,
-driller
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Re: New Update for the Underdark and more

Post by Kane0 »

Liking it so far!

It might just be me but I think the Old Man quests would be better in another order, with spiders being first and then the others.

Raven Barbarians might be a bit overtuned, especially when three of them are the first encounter you face.

There is still a tendency for single, powerful creatures instead of a couple moderate ones or a swarm of weaker ones. Blackheart's lair is a nice change for variety.

Are undead exempt from being champions, or is it linked to some difference between standard and custom toolset creatures?

Edit: Would it be easier to merge the two parts of the same island, or just connect it so it can be traversed (with some monsters running around not associated with the quests) and remove the double-up captain option?

Should all this be going in suggestions?
fredfurner
Commoner
Commoner

Post by fredfurner »

THanks a ton driller!
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

1.Easy, I made the spiders a higher CR than the trolls.
2.It is a level 13 to 15 CR area. They are 15 CR. The Sea Devils you fight in the quest before this one are CR 11 to 15.
3.That depends on the if I am using the spawner I wrote or the standard encounter trigger. I guess I add a champion script to the trigger.
4.No it wouldn't be easier because I would have to do work then :mrgreen: .

Thank's for the feedback.
Kane0 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:49 pm Liking it so far!

It might just be me but I think the Old Man quests would be better in another order, with spiders being first and then the others.

Raven Barbarians might be a bit overtuned, especially when three of them are the first encounter you face.

There is still a tendency for single, powerful creatures instead of a couple moderate ones or a swarm of weaker ones. Blackheart's lair is a nice change for variety.

Are undead exempt from being champions, or is it linked to some difference between standard and custom toolset creatures?

Edit: Would it be easier to merge the two parts of the same island, or just connect it so it can be traversed (with some monsters running around not associated with the quests) and remove the double-up captain option?

Should all this be going in suggestions?
Ming
Baron
Baron

Post by Ming »

Been meaning to say this for awhile. Overall the new update is really good, I like the new rng armors system a great deal. Reminds me of random loot from diablo 2. Looking forward to when we can start finding weapons as once they are added.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

OK, maybe not the smartest idea, but I decided to take my bard mapping the new underdark areas south of the citadel.

Can I just say: "Wow"? OK? Wow!

I have perhaps mapped out half of it and more or less by running for my life away from xxxx I stumbled on xxxx and the xxxx xxxx. So now I know where to go when I've reached lvl 40 and found/crafted/bought all the uber gear.

Anyway, I was kinda annoyed at first, then I started to appreciate the design. I really like it. I still haven't figured out if it's somewhat random spawns, or if it's just very varied encounters, still, it's exciting! I just need some sleep and I'm at it again. I wonder, if you turn east after the stairs to xxxxx, where do you end up....

Thank you driller!
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Thanks. The spawns are random varied encounters. I basically have groups of monsters defined and randomly spawn them when a PC enters the area. The cleanup on PC exit is slow to prevent someone from exiting/entering to get a favored spawn.

The Underdark layout is pretty straight forward, so it shouldn't be to hard to map.
Cornflower wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:43 pm OK, maybe not the smartest idea, but I decided to take my bard mapping the new underdark areas south of the citadel.

Can I just say: "Wow"? OK? Wow!

I have perhaps mapped out half of it and more or less by running for my life away from xxxx I stumbled on xxxx and the xxxx xxxx. So now I know where to go when I've reached lvl 40 and found/crafted/bought all the uber gear.

Anyway, I was kinda annoyed at first, then I started to appreciate the design. I really like it. I still haven't figured out if it's somewhat random spawns, or if it's just very varied encounters, still, it's exciting! I just need some sleep and I'm at it again. I wonder, if you turn east after the stairs to xxxxx, where do you end up....

Thank you driller!
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:00 pm ...

The Underdark layout is pretty straight forward, so it shouldn't be to hard to map.
Not if I were alone in the dark, no... :-)
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

All of the weapons have now been added to the random generation script.
Mask-inc
Duke
Duke

Post by Mask-inc »

hmm, just saying but not seen any ancients loots, be it gears or weapons since the 8 am reset.

FYI

Mask
**Master Halaster Blackcloak, Los Illuminados Alianza Grand Master**

Minion- Impling
Sir Del Goodman- Exile from Starkson Protectorate
Karthak Strongarms- Slayer of Undead
Rikus Strongarms- Grand Scythe Master
Lomnek Strongarms- Dwarven Tank
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

It should work after the 6pm EST reset.
Mask-inc wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:19 pm hmm, just saying but not seen any ancients loots, be it gears or weapons since the 8 am reset.

FYI

Mask
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Haven’t come across any yet, but that said haven’t been super lucky with drops.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

I've seen some ancient loot, both armor, weapons and items. So far nothing exceptional, but a nice variation.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)