Bug or Exploit??

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Bug or Exploit??

Post by Capt Cliff »

I tried to send someone a tell in game, they were atempting to steal kills, but I got a player not found message!! But they are in the player list!! I select them from the player list and nada ... I get the player not found message. What's going on. I wanted to warn them off but if you can communicate how can you stop them from stealing kills?

Come to find out the player charactor's name was created with quotes "" and therefore I could not warn him off short of attacking him. Player charactor names with quotes hould be banned since there is no way to communicate via tells about PvP or anything else.
Last edited by Capt Cliff on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arwaine_Sunstar
Knight
Knight

Re: Bug or Exploit??

Post by Arwaine_Sunstar »

Capt Cliff wrote:I tried to send someone a tell in game, they were atempting to steal kills, but I got a player not found message!! But they are in the player list!! I select them from the player list and nada ... I get the player not found message. What's going on. I wanted to warn them off but if you can communicate how can you stop them from stealing kills?

this normally happens when someone has a set of " in thier name and by this being there the /tp "insert "name" here" does not work due to the " in it
Arwaine_Sunstar
DM_Shadowlands
Knight
Knight

Post by DM_Shadowlands »

There are ways to send tells to them. You need to use the /t and their login name. Several folks do that to stop folks who spam tells. It's not a bug or a exploit it is a feature.
Little things can lead to... just about anything.

DM_Shadowlands :finger:
Hordack
Duke
Duke

Post by Hordack »

Just kill the bastard ! or do what I do ... check them pockets to see what goodies they have !!!
Hordack The Dark
"Thief of Blackstone Keep"
Your only a "Legend" if the people believe the "myth's" that are told about you.
"Dark Stalker" aka "Hordack The Dark Thief of Blackstone Keep"
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

DM_Shadowlands wrote:There are ways to send tells to them. You need to use the /t and their login name. Several folks do that to stop folks who spam tells. It's not a bug or a exploit it is a feature.
Gottcha! But what if you don't know their logon name? Then your stuck with letting them kill steal or resort to Hordy's solution! Peep's with quotes in their names should rebuild their toons so people can communicate with them via tells.
Pi'el
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Pi'el »

Also, don't forget about the one or two users that have just spaces for their login name. That really makes it difficult to contact them in a "Tell".
"Bravery and I are not on intimate terms – my natural curiosity is tempered with caution, thus I've lived long." - Cheshire Cat
Pharo_IK
Count
Count

Post by Pharo_IK »

you can always screenshot

Pharo
Lady Winesa Kenders(RIP): Divine Daughter of Lia, Treaty Holder of the Starkson Protectorate (All realms), Guardian of the Wildlands, Keeper of the Night´s Breath, Speaker of the Great Oak, Champion of Balance.
dm_xeen1
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_xeen1 »

you could try and rp it with
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

T'banyin would say something in broken-common about "stealing his food" or something roleplay appropriate.
If the person continued, then I'd kill one of theirs, if still no reply or response, then there is always a bracketed OOC ((( Hey you realise stealing kills is an act of PVP and can be considered consent to PVP )))
A Reply of : Yes, would give you oportunity to attack if you wanted, No reply at all, would be the same I should think.
Only if a person told me, " Oh Sorry I didn't know that rule oops!" and then they leave, would I not consider taking care of business.
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

All good suggestions above but to be free of harasing tells means we can't communitcate with someone is a bit extreme. Put's the monkey on me. If your getting harasing tells tell let them make the screen and report the harasment. The avenue of communication must be keep open. [-X
Wing--Zero
Duke
Duke

Post by Wing--Zero »

LOL but, banning a name just b/c you can't send them a tell is a little much to don't you think? Just because you don't know there log in name doesn't mean those names should be banned. If we start with this the next step will be people wont like everyone having the names sir or lady as titles in there names.
Duo Maxwell
Auran Goodman
Damian Goodman
Daniel Goodman
Karn
Aye Spyu
Heia The Deamon
and some others :P
Log-ins: Zero, X, X_Mule, Z_mule
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Wing--Zero wrote:LOL but, banning a name just b/c you can't send them a tell is a little much to don't you think? Just because you don't know there log in name doesn't mean those names should be banned. If we start with this the next step will be people wont like everyone having the names sir or lady as titles in there names.
Might be a bit extreme ... but only when you don't have to send tells to a potential kill stealer. It's ok if your behavior is pristine. Being able to send tells to some one does defuse a potential bad PvP.
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

Type // and go OOC, you will still be able to solve the problem that way.. It just won't be as private.

Or you could stay IC and warn them, since Kill stealing can be an IC thing.

Because I have to agree with Wing-Zero Banning someone because they do not want people spamming tells to them is a little off. :P

Also, you could try slicking on their portrait after they say something in chat. That will automatically type in their user name.
Roland Deschain
Alain Johnson
Cuthbert Allgood
Marten Broadcloak
Cort
Rarebru Balancebringer
Walter O' Dim
Sleepy
Feanara Telrunya
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

Wing--Zero wrote:LOL but, banning a name just b/c you can't send them a tell is a little much to don't you think? Just because you don't know there log in name doesn't mean those names should be banned. If we start with this the next step will be people wont like everyone having the names sir or lady as titles in there names.
I agree with Wing. Just take it //ooc. If they don't respond then thwap em. If it is a continual issue I'm sure the Hunters will gladly get involved...eh Jesse?
If not...Toman is bored ^^
dm_xeen1
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_xeen1 »

if the person says anything to you after you have spoken ic to them just click on their char icon in the bar that does all the chats and tells and i assure you that you can send them a tell msg.

banning of chars because they have quotation marks to stop spam tells will not happen.

this is a rp-lite sever and no one is required to rp or even talk to anyone in tells.

use your imagination i am sure you can find a way to get their attention.