Chest Raiding

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

DM_Centaur
Baron
Baron

Chest Raiding

Post by DM_Centaur »

It has been noted that certain players have been raiding chests immediately prior to reset and again immediately after, notably : Lichs Ossuary, Vampire Inn and Prismatic Dragon. For the Lichs Ossuary, if you have a Rune of Recall set to either Level 5 or the Ossuary itself, port in - grab the chest contents - dispose of the Lich and guards - then port out - then this is considered an exploit. If you enter the Prismatic Dragon cave, run in, raid the chest, run out without disposing of the Dragon, again, this is considered an exploit. High level characters raiding on a continual basis low level area chests is not farming. It is depriving lower level characters of hard earned loot.

Please consider this as a one and only reasonable warning.
680. My axe doesn't go off accidentally when I'm cleaning it.
862. Bigby's Offensive Finger is not a real spell.
943. I am not Bjorn of Borg.

"1,125 things Mr. Welch can no longer do during an RPG"
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Re: Chest Raiding

Post by Alter Fritz »

DM_Centaur wrote:without disposing of the Dragon
This is a little hard core don't you think, how about "without defeating the Dragon", maybe a group holds off the dragon while a member raids his treasure and the Dragon never dies. Or a group of rogues sneak in and steal his treasure.

I understand what your talking about, contunually raiding the chests is childish. But there are other ways to explore the server and collect treasure than just disposing of all the monsters.
Frankenstein doesn't scare me...
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

I hail this move and it is about time. But it is a sign that drops in the high level areas are on the decline and force players to be creative. I just finished leveling thru the ant farm and was plesaantly surprise at the number of drops of both forgies and goodies I got. Now conversely I went to Umgahville and the drops were no where near what the ants were dropping. It's because of the drops! Put some chests in Umgahville or in the beholder caves or the demonic realms then the high levels will go there. Oh and get rid of those darn rust monsters!! :P
DM_Centaur
Baron
Baron

Post by DM_Centaur »

Alter Fritz wrote:
DM_Centaur wrote:without disposing of the Dragon
This is a little hard core don't you think, how about "without defeating the Dragon", maybe a group holds off the dragon while a member raids his treasure and the Dragon never dies. Or a group of rogues sneak in and steal his treasure.

I understand what your talking about, contunually raiding the chests is childish. But there are other ways to explore the server and collect treasure than just disposing of all the monsters.
Accepted. The phrasing may have been a little off. The incidents viewed involved a high level character buffing fully, walking in, ignoring the dragon, raiding the chest in full view, no sneak, no effort - apart from the buffs, and walking out with the loot, using a portal scroll so escape could be made if the dragon tried to engage in combat. A single act, no one else 'holding off' the dragon, no rogue skills employed. However, I described the action in my original post - taking a sentence and posting it as a quote, out of context irks me somewhat. :evil:
680. My axe doesn't go off accidentally when I'm cleaning it.
862. Bigby's Offensive Finger is not a real spell.
943. I am not Bjorn of Borg.

"1,125 things Mr. Welch can no longer do during an RPG"
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

Now, now, don't get irked. I didn't take you sentence out of context. I quoted it very much in context and showed how there could be other ways other than killing all the monsters.

I also agreed that raiding the chests continually was childish. I agree with you. I just wanted to clarify that there was other ways of defeating monsters.

I wasn't irked when I read your post, just wanted to add some to it. Let's try to remain calm and level headed in our discussions. I wasn't trying to irk you. =)
Frankenstein doesn't scare me...
G_n_S_Penzance
Knight
Knight

Post by G_n_S_Penzance »

I agree here with Mister Fritz.
The idea of something not being where it is expected is a part of roleplaying.
A stealthful person or a person that outthink's the dragon to get the treasure is an adventure in itself.
Imposing a blanket ruling on something can hamper playstyles and roleplay builds and personalities.

I am not saying this is to be used as an excuse, to be an ass. i.e. "My Character is evil" Or whatever.
What I am saying, is you as a DM should take every instance of this happening on an individual level.

Why did x player do y situation. Was it purely for profit, was it in character, was this at a point in the game where it harms others? Then your punishment should extend from that evaluation.

Though i have not done this; I see nothing wrong whatsoever with someone, knowing that the server is resetting in 2 minutes so they pop in and loot a chest, in "common" areas.

Areas as the aforementioned lich room is a special circumstance and should probably be roleplayed out anyways ( like it was back in the old days, where we'd get a big group together )

Blanket rulings and blanket assumptions, are not a good way to start your DM career ;)
You will not make points with your old and faithful playerbase that's been around in one form or another since the server's creation.
--Pemmyton the Arcitect.
--Veri ( Pemmyton's pixie familiar )
DM_TrainWrek
Commoner
Commoner

Post by DM_TrainWrek »

G_n_S_Penzance wrote:A stealthful person or a person that outthink's the dragon to get the treasure is an adventure in itself.
Imposing a blanket ruling on something can hamper playstyles and roleplay builds and personalities.
The problem we're experiencing is that it is not someone "out-thinking" the Prismatic Dragon. They're not "out-thinking" the Lich and his guards when the chests in the Lich's Ossuary are being raided. They are merely using the skills gained through their level to exploit the current system to benefit themselves in a manner other than the scenario's intention.
G_n_S_Penzance wrote:Why did x player do y situation. Was it purely for profit, was it in character, was this at a point in the game where it harms others? Then your punishment should extend from that evaluation.
It is purely for profit. An individual logs in right after the server resets itself and utilizing any number of methods gets to their target (the chest or chests in question), loots and then without attacking the guardians of the chests, logs out, switching characters.
G_n_S_Penzance wrote:Though i have not done this; I see nothing wrong whatsoever with someone, knowing that the server is resetting in 2 minutes so they pop in and loot a chest, in "common" areas.
The problem is not stemming from someone looting right before reset, but right after the reset.
G_n_S_Penzance wrote:Blanket rulings and blanket assumptions, are not a good way to start your DM career ;)
You will not make points with your old and faithful playerbase that's been around in one form or another since the server's creation.
The ruling stemmed from discussion on the DM forums prior making this announcement to the general player base. And being a DM is not about winning a popularity contest with the player base. It is about making the server a more enjoyable place to play for all involved. Having a high-level character log on right after a reset and looting many of the known chests before an individual character (or group of characters) would legitimately get there whether by questing or by roleplay would not provide an enjoyable experience.

At this time, this topic is no longer up for further discussion.

As DM Centaur has already stated...
DM Centaur wrote:Please consider this as a one and only reasonable warning.
That is all.
There are 10 types of people in the world... those that understand binary, and those that don't.