Suggestions for item combinations to fight Umgahs

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Suggestions for item combinations to fight Umgahs

Post by eclipse08 »

I'll be crass, blunt, and to the point. Or something like that. I need suggestions, offerings, or musings on item combinations that will help my character in the Umgahs.

So far he's got the greater archer's belt, and a socketted platemail with 15% piercing resist. Are there any helms, shields, or anything that will stack with the plate? Or maybe there's an armor I'm missing.

Any and all assistance will be met with a hearty THANKS!
Ghost4life
Count
Count

Post by Ghost4life »

doing great, you have the armor, and a belt... all you need is a cloak gloves a weapon would be good, an amulet, some rings, and MAYBE a pair of boots... those MIGHT be good! hope that helps
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

You require some form of Knock Down protection. Dragon Slippers, Blackstone Bloodshield or Amulet of the Avatar all provide.

You need Acid and Sonic protection, I suggest Epic Energy feats..other than that the rings/cloak etc are personal preference :-)
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Combat gloves are a very good buy ... 15% on all ... cut, pointy and blam!
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Did combat gloves get changed? I thought they were 15/- resist vs Slashing, Bludgeoning and Piercing. Still useful mind you.
The only constant is change.
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

Caesius wrote:Did combat gloves get changed? I thought they were 15/- resist vs Slashing, Bludgeoning and Piercing. Still useful mind you.
No, they're 15/-
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Thanatos wrote:
Caesius wrote:Did combat gloves get changed? I thought they were 15/- resist vs Slashing, Bludgeoning and Piercing. Still useful mind you.
No, they're 15/-
...that's what I said...
The only constant is change.
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

Caesius wrote:
Thanatos wrote:
No, they're 15/-
...that's what I said...
was answering the "Did combat gloves get changed?" part :)
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Here's an idea - don't worry as much about armor combo's. Go there with someone who can heal/buff. Maybe a Cleric?
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

Lessee...

Regulus Hinder is a Cleric. I gave him Epic Energy Resist Acid. He wears Celestial Plate of the Dragon, Greater Archer's Belt, Skull Guard, Bloodstone Shield Thingy (KD Immune), Zim's Footpads, Amulet +3 AC, Nymph Cloak +4, and two Priest's Salvation Rings. Fully buffed with every Clerical buff under the sun, and a few extra to boot, he can handle the Elites, Lancers, and Archers with barely a scratch thanks to the damage resistance and AC 50. Along comes a Captain or a Mage and all bets are off. He usually gets mobbed by Captains and can't get a heal spell off. If a Mage comes along, the Spell Resistance of 34 is eaten for breakfast by those monsters. Sheesh.

So Eclipse, if you're thinking of taking Murken into Umgah Territory...don't. He'll get his butt handed to him on a plate. A paper one at that. :D
BSK User: Douglas Thurman
Character: Regulus Hinder, Cleric of Kazra
Character: Test Subject One - Fighter, Level 6
"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."
- Paul Fix
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

DM_Mystic wrote:Here's an idea - don't worry as much about armor combo's. Go there with someone who can heal/buff. Maybe a Cleric?
Who? (Hugh!) :P
jackybaby
Count
Count

Post by jackybaby »

The physical damage from Umgah is piercing, as is already known it appears. Also, as you may know, they use sneak attacks, so when you are surrounded that will hurt you quite a bit. The elemental damages are what appears to be lacking information here. Sonic, acid and cold are the main elemental damages you will currently face.

As for Umgah Mages, Spell Resistance does not apply to Epic Spells. No way to avoid the hellballs and greater ruins, except to soak the elemental damage as much as possible and regenerate a lot.

Suggested Gear:
Socketed Armor 25% pierce immunity.
Ring of Power (cold resist)
Greater Archer's Belt (20/- pierce reduction)
Either Epic Feats resist acid and sonic or items to give DR versus the same.

Disclaimer: This information was correct as of my last visit to Nethriss. There is a chance that Drillerman will change things so the information will be partially or not at all correct in the near future.
The wise man speaks because he has something to say. The fool speaks because he has to say something.
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

Actually, I'm not sure I ever noticed any cold damage down there, Jack. Thought it was just acid and sonic from the regular beasties.

Of course the mages deal out a little of everything. Or were you referring to their ice storm?
jackybaby
Count
Count

Post by jackybaby »

Some of the Captains had cold damage added awhile back. Look for it in the combat screen next time you go down there.
The wise man speaks because he has something to say. The fool speaks because he has to say something.
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

The point we seem to be missing is that the Umgahs, like several other classes of critters, were not intended to be engaged solo. There are ver few types of builds who can be successful in this manner. My advice, for what little its worth, is refrain from grubbing xp and loot to yourselves and make some friends to accompany you (not singling anyone out here - general comment) NWN is designed to be a social environment and BSK is as well. Yes, I know, many of you DO participate in parties and excel. Others, even in a party, don't do so well. In these cases - at Umgahs or anywhere else, the key is to put your most resistant chars forward, and the rest hang back and contribute what they can. Even the weakest of chars (eg mine) have something to offer, even if it's little more than an excuse to laugh.