The Newcastle Server

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

GoVols
Count
Count

Post by GoVols »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:I understand what you mean GoVols, but if I have banned someone here on BSK and they make no attempt at restitution... why should I open the door on LoT?

While it is on a different scale - if I welcome someone over for dinner and their manners are so poor that I kick them out, I certianly would not invite them over my new place if ther has been no sign of a change in their manners.

On that same measure, if someone contacts me and seems genuine in their apology for the issues that led to thembeing banned, then a dialogue can start and lifting the ban becomes possible.

Myle
Myle, the problem here lies with your assumption that the person that was banned is in deed guilty of something AND they make no attempts at restitution. It's not like we are talking about someone cussion our loud OOC with screenshots...........that would be an open and closed discussion.

We are talking about banning someone due to someone's opinion of something that happened. By no means do the DM's at NewC know both sides of the issues 100%. There is only 1 truth, and they choose not to beleive it (atleast where the whole OOC vs. IC info came from).

To continue with your analogy.......If the poor manners the guest exhibited was spitting food out of their mouth and they were kicked out of your house although they claimed they were choking, then it's more of a grey matter. If you choose to not believe them then it's a closed case for you and you expect them to now apologize for something they are not in the wrong about.

Maybe that's a bad analogy, but I believe you get my point. There are two sides to most issues, and people with closed minds who never accept the possibility of being wrong won't make a fun/good DM group.
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

He attacks the server because of a few players he doesn't like
To me this is ridicules because every server is going to have players you don't like.

So in the case of Viobane the worst player will always dictate how good the server is. Good luck finding a server that you think is worthwhile based on this criteria.

-driller
Fenrip wrote:Weren't both to vio in response to his ... observations?
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

driller wrote:He attacks the server because of a few players he doesn't like
To me this is ridicules because every server is going to have players you don't like.

So in the case of Viobane the worst player will always dictate how good the server is. Good luck finding a server that you think is worthwhile based on this criteria.

-driller
Ahhhhhh... Much more clear driller. Your one line comments leave open so many ways to interpret, that I would prefer you to be clear about them than make assumptions. Now that your meaning is clear, I can determine that your response was due to this:
viobane wrote: I do have to say, this thread and many others since the announcement of BSK's demise have shed a lot of light on the true colors of BSK. The petty crap, the out of control drama and the need to attack and insult others. It makes me sick.
And, your point is well taken, and I agree that my statement went a bit far. However, your one line DID need clarification because I was unsure if you were making a direct attack on me for a particular statement or for something else. Now that I know it was for a particular statement I can take it as feedback and use it.

So, to this point, YES, this is the reason I stopped coming to BSK: for the few players and the attitude of the server as a whole (well, specifically meaning you driller) toward these players, in addition to other issues.

Sometimes your one sentence responses are cryptic and I'd just prefer to hear you be direct about your opinion. I may be sarcastic, but I like to think I'm being direct most of the time.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Ahh, the RP barrier thread. I stand by what I said before. The only barrier to RP is yourself.

-driller
viobane wrote:
driller wrote:He attacks the server because of a few players he doesn't like

-driller
Ahhhhhh... Much more clear driller. Your one line comments leave open so many ways to interpret, that I would prefer you to be clear about them than make assumptions. Now that your meaning is clear, I can determine that your response was due to this:
viobane wrote: I do have to say, this thread and many others since the announcement of BSK's demise have shed a lot of light on the true colors of BSK. The petty crap, the out of control drama and the need to attack and insult others. It makes me sick.
And, your point is well taken, and I agree that my statement went a bit far. However, your one line DID need clarification because I was unsure if you were making a direct attack on me for a particular statement or for something else. Now that I know it was for a particular statement I can take it as feedback and use it.

So, to this point, YES, this is the reason I stopped coming to BSK: for the few players and the attitude of the server as a whole (well, specifically meaning you driller) toward these players, in addition to other issues.

Sometimes your one sentence responses are cryptic and I'd just prefer to hear you be direct about your opinion. I may be sarcastic, but I like to think I'm being direct most of the time.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

driller wrote:Ahh, the RP barrier thread. I stand by what I said before. The only barrier to RP is yourself.

-driller
No, if it were just that, it would have been simple. It's a bit of a personality conflict, I'm afraid. It took me a long time to finally catch the drift of it, but once I did, I decided to move on. I just simply don't like your attitude towards players, driller, pure and simple. There were a number of examples over the past few months where this attitude was apparent, both personally toward me and toward others.

Yes, this is a personal hobby for you, and yes you do a fine job of scripting and crafting your worlds. But not respecting your players opinions is something I have a hard time with. It could be that you have used short answers that were vague and I just read into them in ways you did not intend them to be read, but the patterns over time are clear. At least they are to me.

And as to your response on the "The Only Barrier to Role Play is Yourself" comment. That was NOT the comment that made me upset. I agree with it. But there was much more to your dialog about the issue that was dismissive and disrespectful.

I agree with you that there is never going to be a server where you like everyone, and that it is unwise to judge a server by its worst player. But I think it can be wise to judge a server by the attitude of its admin, and if you can abide by it or not.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I have never been a fan of the design by committee. I never thought that worked.

So of course I ran the world as I saw fit. You expected me to be like a service orientated company. But you got the eccentric artist instead. Yes, I use the word artist loosely.

-driller
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

driller wrote:I have never been a fan of the design by committee. I never thought that worked.

So of course I ran the world as I saw fit. You expected me to be like a service orientated company. But you got the eccentric artist instead. Yes, I use the word artist loosely.

-driller
I agree. Your eccentric artist approach is NOT a design by committee nor service oriented. And that is your right. *shrugs* I guess I don't like the eccentric part and how it comes across.

But, I would have to say that you do have a certain artistic quality that is very decent. That's what drew me in and kept me until I could not handle the disrespectful side of the eccentricity.

And that must be a word since it doesn't get caught by spellcheck. Although the term spellcheck itself gets caught. Guess it's two words. Oh well.

I wish you well, driller, even if I don't like your attitude, communication style or your approach to people. Call it service oriented if you want, I was just looking for that respect that you do not provide in the methods I believe are most appropriate. Oh well.
Cajin
Count
Count

Post by Cajin »

pfffft.....relativate, rinse, repeat and get on with your lives. :lol:

People left BSK for certain reasons and some people followed. :wink:

Some went to NC and some went to other servers.....

so what? no...really? :lol:

and if a server puts a ban on your rear, well, you most likely deserved it? nothing falls down on your roof without a reason, if there's smoke, there's sure as hell fire and each server has the right of it's own fire brigade to put them out.

So instead of creating a thread to throw mud about, you can also try to dwy yow littow teaws and get on with your quest for a server to your liking...

Goodbye :lol:
- Cajin "The Reborn"
- Kelth and William McEwann
- Ghûrzhazh Rhânanûr
-Duncan "The Hunk" Mackinlay
Ghost4life
Count
Count

Post by Ghost4life »

Vio... if you've moved on... why do you still haunt the forums and post negative comments about its players?
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

Holy Eccentric Arguments and Caustic Remarks, Batman!

I leave for two days after the weekend and I come back to finding this thread bursting at the seams?! Pardon me as I wait for class to end so I can go get my fist'ocuffs gloves.

Boy Wonder, to the Bat Cave! Da-dada-da! *animated spinning-bat scene transition*
ZOMFGOMBIES!
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Ghost4life wrote:Vio... if you've moved on... why do you still haunt the forums and post negative comments about its players?
Maybe cause he really like BSK and like losing an ole friend or seeing him/her change some kick and scream and others say Oh well ... such is life ...
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Aside from promoting Hordack and Pandora's Windhill server, the only other purpose of this thread seems to be for trashing people's server policies. I would like to put forward a motion to have it locked. Anyone second that?
The only constant is change.
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

*hangs head* Caes, here I am with my fist'ocuff gloves and everything, ready to Duke Nukem someone and you go and do something sensible. What's right with you?!
ZOMFGOMBIES!
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

Seconded.
My memory used to be better. Also, my memory used to be better.
Ghost4life
Count
Count

Post by Ghost4life »

Thirdeded....ed...eded.ed